Derry First United Methodist Church
Hugh H. Pershing-1867-1870
George W. Carnage-1870-1872
Asbury C. Johnson-1872-1875
Joseph H Henry-1875-1876
John W. McIntyre-1876-1878
Robert J. White-1878-1879
William A. Stuart-1879-1882
Albert R. Cameron-1882-1885
William A. Stuart-1885-1890
Simon P. Woolf-1890-1894
George S. Holmes-1984-1896
Josiah E. Kidney-1896-1898
Robert D. McKee-1898-1901
Nathaniel P. Kerr-1901-1904
Samuel M. Mackey-1904-1907
Alexander E. Husted-1907-1911
Mark A. Riggs-1911-1916
John C. Burnsworth-1916-1921
William F. Seitter-1921-1925
John W. Hall-1925-1926
William T. Robinson-1926-1931
Frank J. Sparling-1931-1935
George M. Hartung-1935-1939
Graham E. Chandler-1939-1945
Ralph E. Spangler 1945-1948
Lester M. Bonner-1948-1953
John C. Cox-1953-1957
Taylor H. Carson-1957-1958
Robert G. Krouse-1958-1962
Clifford E. Stollings-1962-1966
Clarence P. Dalton-1966-1968
Victor L. Redfoot-1968-1973
Charles F. Olson, Jr.-1973-1985
Merrett H. Edner-1985-1993
David D. Wilson, Jr.-1993-2003
Debra D. Rogosky-2003-2006
Keith H. Lohr-2006-2009
Robert K. Moffat-2009-2012
John E. Emigh-2012-2017
Ronald L. Emry-2017 to 2019
1867 The first congregation meets in an old log structure school house on Norris Street, on the south side of the community of Derry Station. Later the community becomes known as Derry Borough. The church is now known as the Derry Methodist Episcopal Church.
1869 The congregation moves to the brick schoolhouse on the corner of Third and North Ligonier Streets.
1876 Col. George C. Anderson of Latrobe constructs our current building. Dedication is held in December.
1882 Church bell is cast in Baltimore and then is mounted atop the church.
1884 Parsonage is built by George W. Strickler. Contract price for parsonage is $1400.
1895 The Derry Station Church becomes an independent corporation and is no longer part of the New Derry Charge.
1900 Church is remodeled by George Mowry.
1902 First edition of The Church Tidings is printed. Five hundred copies of this little church paper are “distributed gratuitously through the church, the Sunday School, and the Epworth League.”
1913 The congregation is incorporated under the name of First United Episcopal Church of Derry. Also, the church building is elevated three and a half feet (at a cost of $350) to allow for the installation of a basement area for the Sunday School classes and social activities.
1915 J.E. Piper is the first member of the congregation to become an ordained minister.
1939 The Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal (South) and Methodist Protestant Churches are reunited and we become Derry First Methodist Church.
1953 More remodeling occurs which includes wall-to-wall carpeting in the sanctuary, re-leading of the stained glass windows and painting.
1967 Centennial (100 years) Celebration takes place in September.
1968 The Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren Churches merge and we become Derry First United Methodist Church.
1975 Co-op market is formed and is held in parsonage garage. “Bus ministry” is started.
1977 Ground is broken for the educational unit which contains five classrooms, nursery, choir room, office, study, restrooms and a new kitchen. Stained glass work of art surrounding door on back side of church is a gift from the estate of Arthur and Lulu Lazzelle.
1985 Rainbow Connection Puppet ministry travels throughout the community.
1986 Derry First partners with three other churches in the community and creates the Derry Food Pantry.
1989 Mortgage Burning Celebration is held. Money is raised by making and selling submarine sandwiches. The addition is given the name “The House That Subs Built”.
1993 Property is purchased for new parking lot.
1995 Parking lot is completed and additional property is purchased for lot extension and play area for children.
2002 Handicapped ramp to basement is added.
2014 Derry First joins with Hillside Methodist Church and becomes a two point charge.
2014 New parsonage is built on property located at 150 E. 3rd Street that the church inherited from longtime members, Ed and Rae McCaulley. Old parsonage beside the church is torn down due to lead and radon readings as well as structural concerns.
2016 Church property is landscaped and a small play area is created between church and garage.